Now after reading the title, you’re probably like “whaaaaat haven’t you heard of Walt Disney before???” and so in pre-emptive response to your response, yes of course I have already heard of Walt Disney. I have seen the movies, I had heard of his name. But I’ve never gotten to know his philosophy or his perspective, his way of thinking and glimpsed into his motivations and imagination like today. And I did this simply by meeting him – by reading through his words and grasping (even just a bit) of the sparkle in his soul that made him who he was – an incredible creator, pioneer, entrepreneur and leader.
So these are my personal favourites, Debbie’s top 10 quotes from Walt Disney.
- Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.
- Somehow, I can’t believe that there are any heights that can’t be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. The special secret it seems to me is summarized in four C’s. They are Curiosity, Courage, Confidence and Constancy. And the greatest of all is Confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably.
- Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we’re curious… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
- We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us.
- Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things; but there are evil things too, and you are not doing a child a favor by trying to shield him from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil, and that is what our pictures attempt to do.
- Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.
- I believe firmly in the efficacy of religion, in its powerful influence on a person’s whole life. It helps immeasurably to meet the storms and stress of life and keep you attuned to the Divine inspiration. Without inspiration, we would perish.
- I don’t want the public to see the world they live in while they’re in Disneyland. I want them to feel they’re in another world.
- You don’t build it for yourself, you know what the people want and you build it for them.
- Whatever we accomplish belongs to our entire group, a tribute to our combined effort.
What does all this mean to me?
A lot. As someone with an embarrassingly intense imagination that often carries me to different worlds, forest after forest of new ideas and dreams of how this world could be and where we could go as a society or a global community – Walt encouraged me (yes we’re on a first name basis now) firstly that I’m not alone in my imagination. and Secondly that it is possible. It is possible to bridge the gap between what you imagine and “reality”, to bring a whole new world of awe and wonder to a people that desperately need it, in the most tangible but also magical, unseen way.
There is still imagination in the world, and Disneyland is still growing. I wonder how I could continue to build this place, in the vast and borderless online world? And what about you? Will you stand and critique those that try- or choose to be part of something bigger and beyond yourself, something you know that “should” be impossible?
There is a God that can do the “most” impossible-that is save us from our sins.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. -Matthew 19:26
And so we start on our knees and pray.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. -Ephesians 3:20-21
Which quote is your favourite and why? Leave a comment below! (I love it when people comment but no one ever does lol)